Catch Up On Recent Posts

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Welcome to My Foyer



Hi, how is everyone doing today?
The weather has turned a lot cooler, and August feels more like October! Today, I thought I will welcome you into my summer foyer:



before I tweak it again for autumn!


Well then, please step into my foyer! It is pleasure to have you here:





The warm wall color and the black and white porcelain floor tiles in the foyer has a more Tuscan flair. The hand-hooked woolen rug contrasts nicely with the black and white tiles:




In my previous post I showed you my front porch (HERE). As soon as you walk through the front door the first thing that greets you is this mirror:



However, the mirror never started out looking like this! It is made out of a resin-like material and was an online purchase many years back. I was never too crazy about the finish on it once the order arrived, but I loved the structure, framework, and the column detailing. 


I lived with it for a while until I decided to give it my own finishing touch. It was a pretty easy project to repurpose it and give a new life to it. I gave it a single coat of burnt umber on top of the existing finish followed by a coat of white gesso. Then, I distressed the surface with sandpaper, applied an antique brown glazing medium, and wiped off most of the antiquing medium with a soft rag. 





A coat of clear paste wax gave it a nice sheen and finished it up beautifully, don't you think?








On the right of the front door sits a wicker planter:





A little bit of greenery livens up a dark corner of any room:





Two metal wall grilles are hung on the walls on either side of the front door:




A close-up on the metal wall grille. I love the little bird detailing in the center of the grille:




My foyer is not too big so taking pictures was a little challenging for me. On the opposite of this wall...



...sits a wrought iron and granite console table:





The distressed mirror sits right over the console table:





I picked up this granite console table from my favorite Hobby Lobby store. Sometimes, they carry beautiful accent furniture for affordable prices.




I love the scroll work on this table:




The floor to ceiling window in the foyer brings in plenty of sunshine throughout the day in an otherwise dark foyer:





and I love the view of my front patio and blue oversize pottery through this window:



 The pink verbenas overflowing in the blue pot remind me so much of the Mediterranean region:




A closeup on the gorgeous blooms:




In color sketch:

I love playing with the tabletop vignette of my foyer table:





Elements of a vignette:


A concrete pot overflowing with summer thyme



A tray of canisters with an antique finish:



A wicker jug from Home Goods with a chalkboard welcome sign:



An up-cycled wine bottle candelabra 



Together they harmonize each other beautifully:





When grouped together the above elements add height, texture, color, and balance to a vignette:





and makes me smile:




Playing with my camera in color sketch:



Thanks for stopping by and for taking the time to leave such lovely comments.  


Thank you ladies! I am honored to be a part of such wonderful inspiration in blogland. Stop by and visit their beautiful blogs and join their weekly parties for inspiring projects and ideas!

Have  a beautiful week everyone!
Hugs, Poppy



Partying at:
The Scoop






35 comments:

  1. I'm sooo jealous of the sunlight streaming thru! and it shows off your pretty hobby lobby table beautifully.

    The mirror after you waxed it looks great, it looks like it had history and character. I love your foyer...

    XO,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your entryway is lovely, Poppy!! Painting the mirror above the console gave it a fabulous look! Love the checkered floor as well.
    Very welcoming!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your entry looks lovely!

    Great to have you at Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you've decorated your foyer - it looks very welcoming! The final finish of the mirror is gorgeous. Congrats on being featured - very well deserved!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your foyer looks so lovely and I love what you did with it. So Welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poppy,the photographs are wonderful! Here is all so beautiful! It's always a pleasure going through your blog! hugs, Manuela.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful entryway. Love the combinations of textures and color. You did a great job on the mirror.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the mirror makeover. Your technique is perfect. The wreath on burlap is a special finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your entry is so pretty. I love the different heights and textures too. VERY welcoming! And my 15 year old daughter walked by just now, and said "oh, I love that mirror, how did she do that!?". :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful and welcoming entry Love the mirror, console and your vignette is wonderful. Thanks so much for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, my! That mirror has me drooling...fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing at The Scoop!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! visiting from Amaze Me Monday. I love creating vignettes in my home and I think you totally captured the Tuscan feel in your foyer. LOVE the wall color with the black and white floor. I never would have thought of that! Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Found you on Amaze Me Monday and so glad I did. Love Tuscan anything. It all looks perfect. I admire what you did to the mirror and Hobby Lobby is a favorite of mine and like your table. Cobalt blue pot is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a very pretty space. Your mirror is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a nice foyer! Love the wall color and all your decorative elements. I really like those metal wall pieces by your door. I'm a fan of Tuscan decorating so appreciate this. Great job on the mirror too- I never have the guts to try those special finishes. The big blue pottery piece is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everything is just beautiful. I wouldn't mind a table like that in my entry, but right now we have a dog crate for our new puppy.

    I also love the blue pots on your porch. I have been thinking about getting a blue pot or two for our porch, but they are so expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is absolutely jaw dropping gorgeous!Your repurposed mirror frame ,the pot of basil and the chalkboard with Welcome written on it,is all so very perfect.Just can't stop myself from drooling over your foyer over and over again!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks lovely. I like the mirror much better now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a bright and welcoming entryway - love that huge side window and especially the mirror makeover. And that floor!!! Nothing like black and white floors!! You have done a fantastic job decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love how it turned out once finished. You house has such good natural light im jealous of it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your foyer most definitely has a Tuscan vibe to it. I love the checkerboard floor and all the light it gets! I bet that fresh thyme smells so good too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful foyer - and that mirror turned out gorgeous - you would never know it's resin!!!
    I love playing with my photos too :)
    Coming by via French Country Cottage and am your newest follower!
    Hugs from Montreal,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  23. Poppy I love the sunshine flowing in your foyer. The b&w tile is gorgeous and go beautifully with the wall color and rug. The table is beautiful and the vignette is great! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  24. Forgot to say how much I loved the mirror!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous entry with all the light streaming through. What you did with that mirror is amazing! Love it.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful, I love it Poppy! Your entry way is gorgeous with the painted mirror above your lovely console! Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's all so beautiful, Poppy! You are one of the fan favorites today at the Sunday Showcase from the Make it Pretty Monday party at the Dedicated House. Pop on over and grab a Sunday Showcase feature button. Here is the link to this week's Showcase. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2013/08/sunday-showcase-from-make-it-pretty_25.html Hope to see your prettiness again tomorrow at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your entry is absolutely gorgeous and that mirror is just beautiful! Loved seeing all of the details. :-)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a beautiful entry-love the colors on your walls and your decorating is so lovely-Beautiful, beautiful!!
    Warm Hugs,
    jemma

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello Poppy - your entryway does have a Mediterranian feel - love the transformation to the mirror with the Gesso - looks fantastic - the tile, the area rug and the acceesories as well as the plants make this an amazing greeting for your guests! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Poppy,
    Your foyer is really beautiful! It's so welcoming with the tile floor and the rug. I love all the natural light. That mirror is gorgeous, and the canisters, the plants, and that scroll work table all create a lovely vignette. Thanks so much for sharing at my HOME and have a wonderful long weekend.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Poppy, this is such a wonderful, light filled space. that mirror turned out gorgeous, your transformation really brought it to life!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gorgeous foyer...and you did a great job distressing that mirror! This would be great to link-up to Create It Thursday for this week…it's live now! Hope you'll join us!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and for your loving thoughts. They make me smile!Hugs~Poppy